Landmark Buildings Tours & Events 2019
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church 515 Second St.
- 10:30 to 2:30 open to public
The Historic Woodland Train Depot is located at 1120 Lincoln Avenue, at the corner of Lincoln Avenue and Sixth street and will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the Stroll Through History.
This year we will be celebrating the 150th anniversary of the California Pacific Railroad arriving in Woodland. Please stop by to see what we have been doing!
The Historic Woodland Train Depot was built in 1911 and was the third of four train depots that were built in Woodland and is the only original one remaining. This landmark building has witnessed many historical events and has had many famous people walk through its waiting room doors to board trains heading north and south. The depot is owned and operated by the Sacramento Valley Historical Railways, a Woodland nonprofit organization that saved and has been restoring this historical landmark. Visit our website at www.SVHR.org or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SacramentoValleyHistoricalRailways.
Woodland Library @ 250 First St. (oldest Carnegie Library in California)
- Open from 9:00 to 4:00
- Guided Tour from 10:00 to 10:30
- Open for free tours 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Gibson House and grounds will be open from 11:00 to 2:00. There will be two tours of the grounds at 11:30 and 1:00
The Gibson Mansion will open only for guided 25 minute tours at:
Boy Scout Cabin
515 Lincoln Ave
Open from 8:00-12:00
Dead Cat Alley tour: 9:00 Start at Heritage Plaza
Strand Theatre marker reveal: 9:30 corner of Dead Cat Alley and First
Roth Building open house: 11:00 am to 4:00 pm (including reception for Dead Cat Alley artists Victoria Lambert and Gary Dinnen 11:30 am)
# # #
DEAD CAT ALLEY
Featuring Victoria Lambert – Strand Theatre historical marker reveal
In 1873 Sam Ruland had the misfortune of being robbed on Dead Cat Alley. Even before that time, the alley had already become one of Woodland’s most interesting landmarks. Today, most visitors are alarmed at the unusual name of the passage, but personal tales of “The Alley” bring its history to life. In 1853 Henry Wyckoff built a small store on the southeast corner of what is now First Street and Dead Cat Alley. The Tai Lee Laundry and the Din family later occupied the same building. 2019 Strollers will spend an hour to see how the commercial district grew from that corner and hear about happenings in the alley and Old Woodland. The tour will include 666 Dead Cat Alley, Woodland’s first post office and the Strand Theatre (“Woodland’s Photo-Play House De Luxe”), the Porter family influences in downtown, the city’s original railroad site, the Roth buildings and China Town – behind the Chicago Cafe, one of the oldest restaurants in California.
• 9:00 AM tour starts at Downtown Heritage Plaza, Second and Main
• Docents: Dino Gay and Rich Westphal (Woodland Parlor 30 NSGW)
# # #
THE ROTH (1911) 427-431 Main Street
The Roth / Half Moon Fruit & Produce Building (The Roth) is next to Father Paddy’s Public House on Main Street.
The Roth brothers were the developers of the building, which is constructed of pressed brick. For many years the building was occupied by hardware dealers, including one of the original tenants CHRIS SIEBER & COMPANY.
Chris Sieber Jr. was born in Woodland, graduated from Pierce Business College, and went to work at Thomas B. Gibson’s hardware store (which was located in the old “Gibson Block” across the street near Elm and Main). In 1903 Sieber bought Gibson’s hardware store and moved the business to the Roth Building in 1912 shortly after its completion. Seiber’s hardware store, the local dealer for the John Deere Plow Company, also sold Studebaker wagons and carriages, and manufactured harnesses. Sieber was married to the former Lillian Buck. He was actively involved in local education and served on the Woodland school board. Sieber, son of German immigrants Chris and Christiana Sieber, also operated the Pacific House at Elm and Main Streets until 1907.
The upstairs of The Roth was originally used for offices and later as hotel rooms and apartments.
In 1991 Karl Fisher, Judy Boyer, and Joe Johnson of Woodland renovated the building. The warehouse attached to the rear of the building along Dead Cat Alley dates back to c. 1900 when it was part of the Fashion Livery Stable (purchased by the Roth brothers in 1912). The Roth is now owned by Half Moon Fruit & Produce Company.
Photo (c. 1991) courtesy of the Yolo County Archives.
# # #
FREEMAN-SCHMAUDERER BUILDING (1861) 539 Main Street