These wonderful homes will be open from 11am – 4pm for this year’s Stroll Through History:

Find a map to the open homes at the bottom of this page.

The Bohon Home, 110 College Street – by Mary Aulman

Entertainment Schedule: 

  • 11.00 am-1.00 pm Uh–Oh! The Back Row
  • 1.30 pm-3.30 pm–Roberta Childers with Trio ma non Troppo

Exterior: It can be hard to believe that this two-story Stick Style Victorian, with all its lovely trim, was Woodland’s first hospital. Originally built by Rhoda Fisher in 1889, the home has an inviting front porch, with a boxed cornice with brackets and a decorative frieze under the main and porch rooflines. The interior features a curved staircase beginning in the entry and a “four-over- four” design, with four large rooms downstairs and four upstairs.

Not a floor plan that we would think of for a hospital today, in 1905 a registered nurse, Kathleen McConnell, and her two sisters rented the house and established the Woodland Sanitarium, Woodland’s first hospital. The upstairs “operatory” room walls were lined with zinc so they could be sterilized. A special articulated litter that bent in the middle was used to carry patients around the staircase curve before and after surgery. Almost condemned and torn down in the early 1960s, the home was saved, and since 2001 has been the family home for Jim and Edna Bohon.

Interior: A stained glass transom window above the front door features a dove surrounded by colored panes of glass. Upon entering the foyer, a staircase with a beautifully curved bannister leads to the upstairs rooms. To the right of the foyer, an original parlor is now a downstairs bedroom. To the left of the foyer, a large alcove serves as a family picture gallery. Further to the left, you enter the living room. The curved wall of the living room is echoed upstairs by the curve in the hallway leading to the bedrooms. The living room and family room can still be separated by the original pocket doors. The family room leads into an office and bathroom. Originally the back wall of these rooms was the end of the house. Starting in the 1920’s, in three “build-outs” a larger kitchen, dining room and back porch were added.

Gardens: The front of the home is filled with old-fashioned flowers and lush wisteria vines. The back of the home is perfect for relaxing to the sound of water from a fountain, with a shaded gazebo surrounded by roses, butterfly bushes, mature trees and a koi pond.

Ownership: This home has had many owners through the years, and was primarily a boarding house from the 1920s to the 1950s. Rescued from demolition in 1963 by Barbara Golden, since 2001 the home has been owned and lovingly cared for by Jim and Edna Bohon.

The Sickinger Home, 515 Third Street – By Jim Lapsley

Entertainment Schedule:

  • 11.00 am- Josh Wisterman
  • 1.30 pm-3.30 pm-Franklin and Twitchell

Exterior: Located on the east side of Third St. between Oak and Lincoln, this one-story Bungalow fits in perfectly with its neighbors, despite being 90 years younger. This home shows that the spirit of the Bungalow is perfectly adapted to the 21 st century. As on the neighboring homes, the gently sloping rooflines are supported by four tapered columns setting off an inviting full front porch. The use of modern materials such as flagstone and composite decking are not out of place and the overall Craftsman look is reinforced by the front door, the exterior entrance lights and the stained glass in the attic peak, all of which seem true to the period of the 1920s.

Interior: Like most one-story bungalows of the time, the front door opens into the living room, which flows from there into the dining room. Natural stained wood predominates throughout the house as trim, and the dark engineered hardwood flooring ties the living room, dining room and front two bedrooms together. The house is built from 2×6 studs and with double-paned windows that mimic the feel of double-hung windows. Stained wood in the window sills add depth, and the painted crown molding reinforces the period feel. The two columns separating the living room from the dining room offer storage, as well as a visual division. In the dining room, the Craftsman theme continues with a build in china hutch on the north wall. Unlike a period-Craftsman, the dining room opens directly into the kitchen, which offers all the 21st conveniences desired by new homeowners. In sum, this home combines the look and feel of a home from 90 years ago, with the updates and energy efficiency required today.

Gardens: Low maintenance and low water use while having multiple spaces for entertainment were the owners’ goals, and they have succeeded. The front yard with boulders, gravel and carefully placed plants uses little water and requites little upkeep. The back and side yards are hard-surfaced with pavers but are inviting and excellent for barbecues.

Ownership: Local home builder Robert Martino purchased the lot four years prior to beginning construction. His goal was to design and build a home that fit seamlessly into a neighborhood of homes built one hundred or more years earlier. He and his wife designed a Craftsman Bungalow, and local architect Duane Thompson did the final plans and structural calculations. The home was only on the market a short time before being discovered and purchased by Clarence and Audra Sickinger, the first owners of a new/old Craftsman Bungalow.

The Brady Home, 525 North Street – by Lynette Ertel

Entertainment Schedule:

  • 11.00 am-1.00 pm-Dr. Lee Baker
  • 1.30 pm-3.30- Laddamy Station

Exterior: This 1882 single-story Italianate cottage features friezes, brackets and other ornate trim typical of the many Victorian-era homes designed and built throughout Woodland by William Henry Carson. Having fallen into disrepair by the time Michael and Elizabeth Brady purchased it in 1995, the almost-derelict former rental property’s front porch was among the first projects to be dismantled and reinstalled. The exterior was scraped to bare wood, then repainted, and 27 windows were replaced, always with devotion to original detail. The current widow’s walk was installed in the early 2000’s to replicate one that had disappeared earlier in the house’s long history.

Interior: Like the outside of the home, the interior required significant renovation. A previous remodel dated back to the 1940’s, so the Bradys systematically and authentically returned the aging beauty to its original grandeur. Note the rosette on the hallway’s ceiling, one of two originals in the house. Floors have been refinished and, after meticulous research, wallpapers reminiscent of the period added. Ornate cast iron hinges and even the living room fireplace have been stripped of multiple paint layers and false ceilings removed to reveal spacious, light-filled rooms as they originally existed. A back porch was converted into a master bathroom and a mudroom.

Gardens: The lot, large by today’s standards, is over 1/3 acre and initially boasted a detached kitchen, as evidenced by a gas line that ran into the backyard. Another feature of the property were its three early outhouse locations, identified with the help of an old fire insurance map. Still surviving, and probably the same vintage as the house, is a redwood barn where the owners’ two vintage sports cars now reside. New landscaping and a pool complete the tranquil yard.

Ownership: The house was originally built for Jeremiah Garoutte, a 49er and pioneer settler in Yolo County, and his wife, Mary Jane. Jeremiah worked as a realtor, stock raiser and water company collector. School teacher Helen Griffes acquire the home and lived there with her daughter, Mabel, from 1900 until 1920, when Mabel married John Woodward. Records from 1935 show that Woodward Bigelow, possibly a relative of Mabel or John, and his wife lived there for the next 20 years until Russell Millsap, a Woodland attorney, purchased it in 1955. Sometime in the next 40 years the house became a rental and then vacant until the Bradys “rescued” it in 1995, earning them the city’s Heritage Home Award in 2000.

The Bishop (Fairchild) Home, 754 College Street – by Jim Lapsley

Entertainment Schedule:

  • 11.00 am-1.00 pm-Zack Kincaid
  • 1.30-3.30-James Morgan

Exterior: Located on the northwest corner of Pendegast and College Streets, this 1910 home was the first Craftsman Bungalow style home built in Woodland. The clean, straight lines and long, covered, exterior porches of the Craftsman Bungalows were an architectural reaction to the ornate trim and vertical exterior of Victorians. Built by the Keehn Brothers for Dr. Fred Fairchild (one of the original founders of the Woodland Clinic) and his wife Rowena Stephens (daughter of Lawrence Stephens, President of the Bank of Woodland) this house was avant-garde when constructed. The sloping roofs lines contrast with the vertical chimney on the south side. The front porch, originally covering the full east side of the house, is accented by clinker brick at the south and east steps. The original lines of the west (back) side of the house have been altered by two additions: one to the south and one to the north.

Interior: The original home has been remodeled twice (1930s and early 1960s) but the layout remains classic Bungalow: Entry hall and stairs in the center, living room with open fireplace to the left, and dining room to the right, kitchen to the rear of the dining room, and an enclosed back porch connecting the living areas. During the two remodels, the dining room was enlarged and has become a family room, and the wall between the kitchen and the dining room was removed. Upstairs are three bedrooms and two baths. The Bishops suspect that the two bedrooms on the south side were originally one bedroom (crown molding doesn’t continue in each room and there is no real closet in the east facing bedroom). Both east facing bedrooms have built-in window seats with storage, a classic Craftsman feature. The main bathroom features a walk-in shower and faux “tile” scribed into the masonry.

Gardens: The original cross-shaped fountain and pool, located on the south (Pendegast) side of the home has been reclaimed. The old pool to the west has been filled as a garden. Redoing the house is the focus

Ownership: Larry and Kim Bishop are the third owners of the home and have been in the home for less than four years, purchasing the house in December of 2013 from the Hildebrand Estate. Gus and Mary Hildebrand, founders of Hildebrand Auto Electric bought the home following Dr. Fairchild’s death in 1959. The enclosure of the porch was done in the 1930s for Fairchild by Motroni and the western additions were made following the Hildebrand’s purchase, when Gus Hildebrand began his auto repair business, working from home. The Bishops are focusing on bringing the home back to its original state, and are contemplating the job ahead to strip all of the white enamel.

The Horne Home, 1011 Fourth Street – by Mary Aulman

Entertainment Schedule:

  • 11.00 am- 1.00 pm-Justin Hardcastle
  • 1.30 pm-3.30 pm- Clarence Vanhook

Exterior: Built between 1909 and 1914, this charming home is a fine example of the Victorian cottage style. The front door, at the center-line of the house, is framed by a small porch with its own roof. To the right of the door, two double-hung windows are trimmed out with simple molding. On the left side of the home, a bay window “bump out” is elaborately trimmed with a cornice and brackets upholding a decorative roof treatment.

Interior: While the exterior of the home is fully Victorian, the interior is a blend of old and new. Typical of even large Victorians, the home had been divided up into small rooms with different functions. The front parlor was for visiting with guests. The kitchen was closed off from the dining room, a necessity in the days before kitchen ventilation.

Now the tiny front parlor, dining room and kitchen have been opened up into an airy and light-filled space. Crown molding and new flooring add visual flow to the space. The detailed trim around windows and doors maintains the Victorian charm and helps blend the old with the new. Across the hall, the light-filled front bedroom is now used as a guest bedroom. The bed is a family heirloom, handed down from a great-grandmother, and lovingly refinished by Christina and her father. The guest bath has been beautifully remodeled with a custom tile enclosure for the bath and shower. The second bedroom is now a home office. An office room is followed by the master bedroom and bath, with an ample closet– a true modern innovation! The original home ended where the current ceiling drops. By adding some additional space, it was possible to add the master bath and a big closet.

Gardens: The current owners have focused a lot of work and energy on landscaping their yard. The front of the home is surrounded by roses that add a touch of old-fashioned charm. The back yard has been transformed into a welcoming outdoor living space.  Raised beds for vegetables and flowers encircle a small lawn. An entertainment center provides comfortable seating, shade and a television for sports fans.

Ownership: The current owners of the home are Christina and Dave Horne. They both work in remodeling and design, and they have a real love for old houses and established neighborhoods with mature trees and lots of shade.

Download Copy of Map Below:

2017 Stroll Through History Map